As we all navigate through this extremely challenging time of a global health pandemic, we want to ensure our guests of steps we are taking to ensure the safety for those that still travel regionally to our hotel in the 2020 season and beyond. We are hoping with warmer weather comes a lapse in the virus and a pent up demand for folks that wish for fresh air and to get out of the house!
First and foremost, we are including guidelines for hotels taken from the Executive Order recently implemented in Michigan to identify who is able to book our units during the business shut down (currently until April 15th but may be extended to April 30th if Michigan follows the national government.
Under the order, workers at hotels and motels are critical infrastructure workers to the extent they “provide temporary or permanent housing for… shelter … for … otherwise needy individuals.” For purposes of the order, the term “otherwise needy individuals” includes anyone residing in a hotel or motel at the time the order was issued or anyone seeking shelter during the current pandemic. Hotels and motels may also remain open to the extent they are used for COVID-19 mitigation and containment efforts and to serve critical infrastructure workers.
Currently we have chosen to only offer through April 30th 4 units on site which offer kitchens.
Regarding procedures and policies for once the Executive Order is lifted or for bookings that have already booked prior to the order:
Even though we have always prided ourselves on cleanliness, will be implementing an even more rigorous cleaning regimen, and following the guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in this regard.
We will increase the frequency of cleaning and sanitation in all guest areas.
We will stay in constant contact with all of our employees to ensure if they are feeling ill that they stay home.
Our cancellation and refund policies cited on our Booking Policies Page remain the same with a few exceptions:
1) we ask that guests wait until 30 days out from check in date to cancel, to give the measures our state and country are taking to reduce the spread of this virus and give us the chance to go back to normal travel conditions. We still want and expect to see you this summer!
2) if guests wait until 30 days out we will waive the $35 cancellation fee if you do in fact need to cancel due to Covid-19.
3) we will also be offering gift certificates in leu of cancellations if any guests are in a position to accept this method and delay (or you may simply reschedule your trip for later in the season).
As far as industries effected, of which there are many, hotels (and especially mom and pop size hotels) are some of hardest hit. As we work with our lenders and hopefully find some relief in an upcoming stimulus package, our hope and goal is to keep this beautiful place alive for years to come so that our guests can continue to enjoy the Whaleback Inn and our amazing corner of Leelanau County. Your support will go a long way in helping us reach that mutual goal.
Thank you so much for your support.
Drew & Nichole Warner